Thursday, April 28, 2011

Traversing The Wildcats (The Movie)







Winter is a slow time of year for me when it comes to backpacking. My last trip took place in January and I was anxious to get out again so I planned an overnight excursion up in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and assembled a small group of friends to join me.

The conditions were virtually ideal considering the time of year when winter and spring seem to overlap in the mountains. The temps were cool to freezing. The trail was cleared at the bottom and covered with ice and snow above 3,000 feet.

We hiked along one of the more strenuous parts of the Appalachian Trail, also known as the Wildcat Ridge Trail, from Pinkham Notch on Route 16 over to the Carter Notch Hut. In fact, through-hikers often reflect upon the ascent of Wildcat D from the highway as one of the steepest and most demanding parts of the entire 2,181 mile Appalachian Trail. So, it was especially fun to do this with the added challenges of winter and the complete absence of other hikers.

I usually shoot a series of photos on a trip like this but I felt like making a video this time instead. It's the first video I've put together on my Mac, which I think is evident once you start watching it. Anyway, it was  a fun trip and an equally fun project. Hopefully, you will enjoy the spectacular views New Hampshire's White Mountains have to offer and feel encouraged to hike them sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your point!