Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Time to Build Your Shrine for the Bruins!


By now you've got to be paying attention to the Boston Bruins. Even if you couldn't tell the difference between a Zamboni and a jock strap two months ago there is no questioning the excitement around the Hub these days. To all the bandwagon jumpers and fair-weather fans I say, come along. It's been a fantastic playoffs ride and we only have four more wins before hoisting Lord Stanley's Cup for the first time in 39 years.

If you're looking for a way to influence good karma may I suggest building a shrine. Sure it's a little obsessive, maybe a little dorky. Ok, definitely dorky. But, it has worked for me in 2004 when the Red Sox won it all for the first time in 86 years so there is no reason to think my plan would fail me now.

First, you need to grab everything in your house that you associate with the Big Bad Bruins (if I had suggested this back in the mid 90's you'd probably be unhooking your toilet). Now, go ahead and arrange these totems of triumph and arrange them close to your television set. Finally, and this is the most  important part, leave it there until the Cup is ours.

I cannot stress this last part enough. It's going to be a tough battle but these Bruins play with a lot of heart so we as fans have to match that with our loyalty. We've seen them go seven games with our arch rival Montreal Canadiens (AKA the Canadian National Diving Team), we've seen them sweep the Philadelphia Flyers who, just one year ago, totally broke our hearts, and we just witnessed them clinch a trip to the Finals against the Tampa Bay Lightening who last won it just seven years ago.

My shrine consists of many artifacts that I associate with my team. First, the obvious ones. Behind me in the above photo hangs my four Boston Bruins playoff rally towels, which represent the four wins we need to finish business. In front of me is my circa 1984 Boston Bruins pennant which I have held onto for three decades and remains untarnished - just like my love for the Bruins. In front of that pennant are two autographed photos of my two favorite Bruins legends.

The first one is of Rick Middleton, perhaps my biggest influence growing up. In fact, he was my idol. We had the same name, which I thought was cool. He played left wing so I played right. He was number 16 so I went the next even number down and held onto it for the duration of my playing days. My dad surprised me one day when he took me to a car dealership where Rick Middleton was signing these photos. When it was my turn to meet him, I couldn't say a word - I was in shock. The signature comes with a personal message that reads, "To Rick, Good luck in your hockey career! Rick Middleton."

The bigger photo needs no introduction. Bobby Orr is the best Bruin of all time and I had the very bitter-sweet opportunity to skate with him for an hour in 1986. Christa McAuliffe's son and I played on the same team when Mr. Orr came to cheer him up with a surprise visit after the fateful morning of January 28. He stayed after the game and signed a photo for every kid on the team and every piece of hockey equipment the team handed him. So, this is another relic that I hold sacred.

On a lighter note, it is important to become a part of your shrine. I am holding onto my Concord Youth Hockey Mite League Championship trophy. It is the only trophy I ever won and the championship game-winning goal was scored by yours truly. In my other hand I am holding my 1985 All-Star plaque. These items might not clearly be associated with the Bruins but they are definitely Bruins-inspired! I figure, if I can claim to be a champion then the Bruins should have no problem joining my club.

As you can also clearly see, I am not too proud to pull on my Boston Bruins youth size sweater. Sure, it fit better when I got it on Christmas morning in 1985 but I can still fit into it so I wear it with pride. Also, the hat is a nice touch but the big piece is the playoff beard. I don't know how the tradition started but I haven't touched this hairy beast since the last week of the regular season back in April. It just might be the secret weapon in my shrine.

So, Bruins fans, go forth and paint your house black and gold or whatever you gotta do to feed the positive energy that the Bruins need. We're almost there and everyone needs to get involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your point!